Chapter Review: Resumes

Chapter Review
Book Title: What do Employers want? A guide for Library Science Students
Authors: Priscilla K. Shontz and Richard A. Murray

Publication Date: 2012

Chapter 8: Resumes

Synopsis:
This chapter discusses the components of a strong resume and advice on content and conventions that everyone has to consider.

Take-away Points:
Since every resume has to be tailored for the job that one is applying for, it would be a good idea to create a master resume and pull the relevant information for each unique resume. Applicants should also create a career portfolio of his/her accomplishments for his/her own memory and it could be the basis of future projects. The authors encourage students and new graduates to talk about technology and current theories to make their resumes more appealing.  

Reactions:
Before going to the IE LEADS conference, I thought I had a strong resume because I incorporated a lot of narrative in my resume in order to help potential employers see how my experience was relevant to their requirements. After reading this chapter and talking to a career coach, I understand that the dots need to be connected more subtly. Choosing the relevant information from my master resume is less overwhelming to committees than a paragraph of prose that details why I would be a good fit. 

Comments

Popular Posts